Skip to main content

Nadal triumphs into Australian Open second round


Rafael Nadal on Monday said he was delighted with his remodelled serve and his fitness levels after qualifying into the second round of the Australian Open.

The Spanish world number two demolished fighting Australian wildcard James Duckworth 6-4, 6-3, 7-5.

After an injury-plagued 2018, the 17-time Grand Slam champion was back to his devastating old self as he raced through in 2hr 15min.

“It was good. It is normal that beginnings are tough, but every day helps and every day makes me feel better, makes me feel more confident,” said Nadal, who limped out of both the Australian and US Opens last year.

“So that’s an important victory because it is the first victory since a while, and at the same time, because that gives me the chance to be on court again. And that’s what I need today.”

Nadal had promised to unveil a remodelled, improved serve at the first Grand Slam of the year and the new action was going smoothly until he served for the match at 5-3 in the third set only for Duckworth to break to love.

It brought a huge ovation from the home supporters and another roar as the world number 238 held for 5-5. But Nadal insisted his new serve was not to blame.

“I played against a super-aggressive player. Believe me, he went on court probably doing a thing that works well for him, and it gave him some chances — he played smart and he played well.”

Nadal used all his experience to win his next service game from 15-30 down before breaking Duckworth again for the straight-sets win.

“When you play against a player that he wants to hit all the shots, of course you can have breaks against, because you are sometimes in his hands,” said Nadal.

“But anyway, my serve worked well. I don’t know my percentage, but was a lot of good positions after the first serve. I felt solid with the second.”

He will next play either another Australian Matthew Ebden or Germany’s Jan-Lennard Struff who face off later Monday.

Nadal pulled out of his Brisbane warm-up event two weeks ago with a thigh strain but insisted his injury woes were behind him.

“It was sad not to play in Brisbane. I had a small issue on the leg and the doctor wouldn’t allow me on court even if I wanted,” Nadal said.

“It’s always different pains appearing in the first weeks back after a while. I am trying to be better and better every day. I had a good week of practice before this tournament.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Update On New National Minimum Wage.

The Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council (JNPSNC) and the other eight unions in the public service across the country yesterday, Monday, 1 July, proclaimed its members would embark on industrial action over what they feel as Federal Government’s deliberate  effort to derail the implementation of the new national minimum wage of N30,000.

In statement issued by the Acting Chairman of the JNPSNC, Anchaver Solomon, and the Secretary, Alade Lawal.

The statement read, “Operating under the aegis of the Trade Union Side of the Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council, the eight unions in the public service of the federation and 36 states have alerted Nigerians that labour may have to embark on industrial action if the current state of affairs as regards the issue of consequential adjustment arising from the new national minimum wage of N30,000.00 per month remains the same.

“Since the committee set up early this month by the government to work out the consequential adju…

BREAKING NEWS: Senior Pastor of COZA, Biodun Fatoyinbo Finally Steps Down.

The founder of the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA) Abuja, Biodun Fatoyinbo has stepped down.

 He announced his leave of absence from the pulpit via his verified Instagram page.

 He wrote as shown below,
 “The past few days have been sobering for me. I have taken time to pray and seek spiritual counsel from Christian leaders around the world, who feel very concerned about the ongoing reports in the media.
 I have solicited their guidance on actions, I should take that are honouring to our Lord Jesus Christ and the work, he has called me to do.

 “Drawing from their counsel and that of the leadership of the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly and owing to my love for God’s word and sacred honour of my calling, I have decided to take a leave of absence from the pulpit of the church.”

He went on to ask for prayers for himself and his congregation “

 Below is a screenshot of his Instagram post:



Official : Frank Lampard Returns To Chelsea As Head Coach.

Frank  Lampard has returned to Stamford Bridge as coach. After working with Derby County last season, he has made a switch to
Chelsea and has signed a three-year deal.

The Chelsea legend and now coach said:

"I am immensely proud to be returning to Chelsea as head coach," he said, as reported on the club's website.

"Everyone knows my love for this club and the history we have shared, however my sole focus is on the job in hand and preparing for the season ahead.

"I am here to work hard, bring further success to the club and I cannot wait to get started.