Skip to main content

POLITICS: Divisions in Atiku campaign as Ekweremadu Stays Low.


There are divisions on the Peoples Democratic Party’s presidential campaign as associates and supporters of the Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, appear to be taking a back seat in the campaign process.

Earlier, the PDP had denied an earlier reported statement attributed to the Buhari Media Organisation that Ekweremadu and South-East governors were working for the success of the President Muhammadu Buhari’s re-election.

But an associate of Ekweremadu, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity over the issue on Friday, said the Deputy Senate President deliberately stayed away from the campaign of the party’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar.

The source said Ekweremadu would not dissipate energy on a project that he was not considered worthy of playing any major role.

The source added, “The Deputy Senate President was not given any specific assignment in the Atiku Presidential Campaign Council, which I think is wrong. It is not proper that the PDP did not assign any national role to him in its presidential campaign.

“Ekweremadu was not even carried along when the PDP Presidential Campaign Council was constituted; he had no input at all. He also learnt of the composition, like other Nigerians, through the media. If Ekweremadu had not remained in the party, I doubt whether there would be any PDP to return to after the Supreme Court verdict that sacked the former national executive.

“It is wrong to say that he should campaign alongside his principal who is the director-general of the campaign council (Dr Saraki). In any case, Ekweremadu was in Gombe State to campaign for Atiku. He is currently concentrating on the South-East, which is his own constituency. He is specifically focusing on how to deliver the South-East region.”

The source added that it was wrong to  sneak that the South-East governors were not involved actively in the PDP presidential campaigns because they felt Ekweremadu had been sidelined.
He said, “The truth of the matter is that the governors are also concentrating on their own re-election. They will definitely show their power when the campaigns move to the South-East region.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Update On New National Minimum Wage.

The Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council (JNPSNC) and the other eight unions in the public service across the country yesterday, Monday, 1 July, proclaimed its members would embark on industrial action over what they feel as Federal Government’s deliberate  effort to derail the implementation of the new national minimum wage of N30,000.

In statement issued by the Acting Chairman of the JNPSNC, Anchaver Solomon, and the Secretary, Alade Lawal.

The statement read, “Operating under the aegis of the Trade Union Side of the Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council, the eight unions in the public service of the federation and 36 states have alerted Nigerians that labour may have to embark on industrial action if the current state of affairs as regards the issue of consequential adjustment arising from the new national minimum wage of N30,000.00 per month remains the same.

“Since the committee set up early this month by the government to work out the consequential adju…

Official : Frank Lampard Returns To Chelsea As Head Coach.

Frank  Lampard has returned to Stamford Bridge as coach. After working with Derby County last season, he has made a switch to
Chelsea and has signed a three-year deal.

The Chelsea legend and now coach said:

"I am immensely proud to be returning to Chelsea as head coach," he said, as reported on the club's website.

"Everyone knows my love for this club and the history we have shared, however my sole focus is on the job in hand and preparing for the season ahead.

"I am here to work hard, bring further success to the club and I cannot wait to get started.

Buhari Orders Immediate Evacuation of 640 Nigerians from South Africa.

President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday 9th of september 2019 ordered the evacuation of Nigerian nationals from the xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

 He directed the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, to monitor the measures the South African government would take to end the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians by further engaging the “appropriate authorities.”

 The President also gave clear instructions that Nigerians willing to return home should be evacuated from South Africa with immediate effect.

 The President took the decisions when he received  the report of the special envoy he sent last week to his South African counterpart, President Cyril Ramaphosa.

 The Presidency, in a statement on Monday in Abuja, said the special envoy, who is the Director-General, National Intelligence Agency, Ahmed Rufai-Abubakar, returned to Nigeria after the assignment and had submitted his report to the President.

It said Rufai-Ababukar was in Pretoria from Thursday to Saturday. While …