Skip to main content

Klopp picks one player for praise after defeat to Barcelona


Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has highlighted  just how proud he is of his side, following their 3-0 defeat to Barcelona at the Camp Nou on Wednesday night.

Speaking about Lionel Messi, who scored a brace, Klopp was in awe of the Argentine's ability.

"Messi? He is unstoppable because it is impossible to defend that free-kick," stated Klopp.

"Maybe the [finish to make it] 2-0 was not his best goal but it shows that he knows that he is in the right place; I am a great admirer of him, but we have defended him well."

"It is very difficult to play against Barcelona, but if you look at the result, Mr. [Ernesto] Valverde has done everything right and I have done everything wrong."

Despite the result, the German coach is full of hope  ahead of the second leg at Anfield next Tuesday.

"I think it was our best away game in the Champions League, not only this year but last year included," said Klopp.

"Against a side like this, playing this kind of football, I was completely happy.

"It's okay to lose away from home in Europe but the problem is that we didn't score today - that's not okay.

"I enjoyed the match, but at the end of the day we lost and that wasn't fun. I accept the responsibility.

"I said that I am really proud of them, that I really liked the game.

"They don't have to think about the next game against Barcelona; now we play Newcastle. That's our focus. We'll go to the hotel, have a proper sleep, get up in the morning, fly home and then prepare for Newcastle.

Mohamed Salah had a chance to make it 3-1 on the night and his coach spoke about what could have been.

"3-1 would be a better result and I would feel slightly different in this moment," Klopp lamented.

"What can I say? We showed we can have chances and these boys never give up, that's how it is - they never give up and I love that."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Update On New National Minimum Wage.

The Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council (JNPSNC) and the other eight unions in the public service across the country yesterday, Monday, 1 July, proclaimed its members would embark on industrial action over what they feel as Federal Government’s deliberate  effort to derail the implementation of the new national minimum wage of N30,000.

In statement issued by the Acting Chairman of the JNPSNC, Anchaver Solomon, and the Secretary, Alade Lawal.

The statement read, “Operating under the aegis of the Trade Union Side of the Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council, the eight unions in the public service of the federation and 36 states have alerted Nigerians that labour may have to embark on industrial action if the current state of affairs as regards the issue of consequential adjustment arising from the new national minimum wage of N30,000.00 per month remains the same.

“Since the committee set up early this month by the government to work out the consequential adju…

Official : Frank Lampard Returns To Chelsea As Head Coach.

Frank  Lampard has returned to Stamford Bridge as coach. After working with Derby County last season, he has made a switch to
Chelsea and has signed a three-year deal.

The Chelsea legend and now coach said:

"I am immensely proud to be returning to Chelsea as head coach," he said, as reported on the club's website.

"Everyone knows my love for this club and the history we have shared, however my sole focus is on the job in hand and preparing for the season ahead.

"I am here to work hard, bring further success to the club and I cannot wait to get started.

Buhari Orders Immediate Evacuation of 640 Nigerians from South Africa.

President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday 9th of september 2019 ordered the evacuation of Nigerian nationals from the xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

 He directed the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, to monitor the measures the South African government would take to end the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians by further engaging the “appropriate authorities.”

 The President also gave clear instructions that Nigerians willing to return home should be evacuated from South Africa with immediate effect.

 The President took the decisions when he received  the report of the special envoy he sent last week to his South African counterpart, President Cyril Ramaphosa.

 The Presidency, in a statement on Monday in Abuja, said the special envoy, who is the Director-General, National Intelligence Agency, Ahmed Rufai-Abubakar, returned to Nigeria after the assignment and had submitted his report to the President.

It said Rufai-Ababukar was in Pretoria from Thursday to Saturday. While …